- Need an English proficiency test for study purposes? One or more of TOEFL, PTE, or Academic IELTS may be accepted depending on the institution. Check with the institution and prepare for your preferred test.
- What kind of English do you study? TOEFL is focused on North American English, whereas IELTS is based on British English. The Academic PTE uses a mix of British, American and Australian English.
- For work or study? TOEFL is typically just used for academic purposes, whereas IELTS and PTE have two different formats – one Academic, one General.
- Moving abroad? For those seeking to migrate to or work in English-speaking countries such as the UK, Australia, New Zealand and even Canada, General IELTS proficiency is often sufficient. PTE is also accepted for certain UK and Australian migration procedures.
- Just want to work on your Conversational English skills? Or to develop your Business or Academic English? ICON+ offer dedicated English proficiency training.
Similar to the TOEFL, the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) measures the ability of non-native speakers of English to use and understand British English. It is primarily used by those seeking international education, professional recognition and migration to English-speaking countries such as the UK, Canada, Australia and New Zealand.
IELTS covers all four language skills: Listening, Reading, Writing and Speaking and is offered in two test formats – Academic and General Training. Each of the 4 sections is scored on a scale of 1-9 and the overall IELTS score is also on a scale of 1-9. The total testing time is 2 hours 45 minutes.
Candidates who would like to register for the IELTS can do so with ICON+, an official IELTS test registration centre. Official scores will be released within 2 weeks after the test date, and will be valid for 2 years. The majority of our IELTS students score 6.5 and above!
ICON+ is the official IELTS Test Registration Centre for British Council and IDP.
Similar to the IELTS, the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) measures the ability of non-native speakers of English to use and understand North American English as it is spoken, written and heard in college and university settings. Most people who take the TOEFL test are planning to study at colleges and universities where instruction is in English. In addition, many government agencies and licensing/certification agencies, as well as scholarship and exchange programs, use TOEFL scores to evaluate English proficiency.
The 4-hour TOEFL internet-based test (iBT) has four sections: Reading, Listening, Speaking and Writing. These four sections are equally weighted and the total score is 120. The emphasis is on integrated skills and the TOEFL iBT is arguably an accurate gauge of the students’ proficiency to communicate ideas in English. We are pleased to announce that most of our TOEFL students score 95 and above!
Pearson Test of English (PTE) is a multi-level, computer-based English language test designed for non-native speakers aiming to study or work in English-speaking countries. PTE comes in two modules—General and Academic. PTE General tests communicative ability and is largely used as a comprehensive and objective measurement of English language knowledge. PTE Academic is mostly taken for immigration, employment and study purposes. PTE is recognized by thousands of universities and business schools worldwide, including reputable institutions such as the Harvard Business School, INSEAD and Yale. PTE is also accepted for visa purposes by the Australian government.
Similar to other language exams like IELTS and TOEFL, PTE tests major language skills. The test format is a single 3-hour session consisting of 3 parts—Speaking and Writing (77–93 min), Reading (32–41 min), and Listening (45–57 min). Some of the advantages of the PTE test are that it delivers results within five working days, offers a detailed score report, and sends scores to unlimited number of designated recipients at no extra cost.
5 weeks or less
in 110 Top
Schools & Unis
Take a step inside our online classroom with the videos below, from eGuru, our online learning partner.
61 Stamford Road,
#01-01, Singapore 178892
+65 6336 6551
+65 6336 6558